Bridging Open Work Permit

The bridging open work permit is a way to keep a worker in Canada working while his or her application for PR is being processed.

In-Canada applicants who have applied for permanent residence under one of the eligible economic immigration programs may be considered for a bridging open work permit if they already hold a valid work permit that is due to expire within four months.

A foreign worker legally working in Canada who has submitted an application for PR may then continue to work until a decision is made on his or her application for permanent residence.
This is beneficial for the federal government, Canadian communities and employers, as well as applicants and their families because otherwise, applicants and their dependents (spouse and children) would have to either leave Canada temporarily, stay in Canada under visitor status, or find an employer willing to go through the process of applying for an LMIA.

Eligibility Criteria for Bridging Open Work Permit

  • The foreign national is currently in Canada;
  • The foreign national has valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months;
  • He or she is the principal applicant on an application for permanent residence under the FSWP, the CEC, the PNP or the FSTP;
  • The foreign national received a positive eligibility assessment on his or her application; and
  • The foreign national has made an application for an open work permit.


Foreign National can’t apply for Bridging Open Work Permit if:

  • The foreign national is in Canada under section 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (work permit exempt);
  • The foreign national has let his or her status expire;
  • The foreign national’s work permit is valid for longer than four months and/or he or she has a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application;
  • The foreign national is applying for a bridging work permit at the port of entry.
  • The foreign national is a provincial nominee who has not submitted a copy of his or her nomination letter with the application for a bridging work permit, or whose nomination letter specifically indicates employment restrictions.