Study In Canada

Canada is home to some of the world’s best education and immigration options. Canada has made it easier for international students to begin their Canadian immigration journey. Whether you wish to begin your program at a Canadian college or university, you will be able to study online in your home country and still access the same benefits of being in Canada. 

According to IRCC, a student can complete their entire Canadian program online and remain eligible for the PGWP.

The PGWP is important for international students that want to make their Canadian immigration applications more competitive. The combination of Canadian education and Canadian work experience gained through the PGWP will enhance a student’s chances of obtaining Canadian permanent residence.

There are over 1,500 universities, colleges, and other educational institutions that are authorized by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to welcome international students. These educational institutions are called designated learning institutions (DLIs) and they exist to help international students learn in Canada and stay in the country after graduation. The list of DLIs that are authorized by IRCC is constantly growing.

Ontario and Quebec are Canada’s largest provinces by population, and hence, they host the most number of DLIs in the country (nearly 1,000 combined). Given a large number of DLIs across Canada, you are very likely to find an educational program that meets your needs. If you wish to pursue undergraduate (i.e., Bachelors) or post-graduate studies (i.e., Master’s or Ph.D.), Canada has some 100 universities.

Pathways For Permanent Residence For International Students 

International students who complete post-secondary education in Canada have many opportunities to extend their stay and ultimately transition to permanent residence. After completing your education in Canada, you can gain Canadian work experience by obtaining a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) which, depending on your Canadian academic program, may enable you to work in Canada for up to three years.

Following are the Pathways for International Students to get Canadian Permanent Residence:

  • Express Entry
  • Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)
  • Other Federal and Pilot Programs

Reasons Why Students Choose Canada for Study:

  • High quality of education offered by Canadian schools
  • Canada offers international students with opportunities to work during and after their studies, and transition to permanent residence
  • Opportunities to study in English and/or French
  • Safety and security
  • Multicultural society
  • Canada welcomes immigrants and international students from nearly 200 different countries each year
  • Canada is affordable compared with other popular international student destinations.

Main Countries From Where Canadian International Students Come From:

Popular source countries of Canada’s international students include India, China, South Korea, France, Vietnam, the U.S., Iran, Brazil, Nigeria, and Mexico. Many countries across Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, and Asia also send large numbers of international students to Canada each year.

Can I Bring My Family To Canada?

Yes. You may bring your spouse, common-law partner, and dependent children.

How Can I Become Permanent Resident After My Study In Canada?

Yes. Tens of thousands of the over 300,000 people that become Canadian permanent residents each year are former international students.

There are several programs that can lead to permanent residence, including the three programs managed under Express Entry (Canadian Experience Class, the FSWP, and the FSTP). There are many other options available through the likes of the PNP, Quebec, the AIPP, and the RNIP programs.

Some of these programs require qualifying Canadian work experience. If you want to work in Canada after you finish your studies, you can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

Can Internation Students Work While Studying In Canada? 

You may be able to work on-campus or off-campus, provided your study permit lists that condition. You can only begin working in Canada after you have begun your Canadian study program. You may be allowed to work on your school’s campus if you:

  • are a full-time post-secondary student,
  • have a valid study permit, and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you need to work for a co-op or as an intern, you must apply for a co-op or intern work permit. You may be eligible if:

  • work is required to complete your program,
  • you have a valid study permit,
  • you have a letter from your institution confirming that all students must work to get their degree,
  • your co-op or internship is 50% or less of your program.

If you are taking English or French as a second language, general interest courses or courses to prepare for another program, you may not be eligible for a co-op work permit.

If you want to work off-campus, your study permit must say that you can work off-campus. You must also:

  • be a full-time student,
  • be enrolled in a post-secondary program,
  • be enrolled in a study program that is at least 6 months long, and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate,
  • have started studying,
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are a part-time student, you may only work off-campus:

  • if you have met all the criteria listed above, and,
  • you’re only studying part-time because:
    • you’re in your last semester and you don’t need to study full-time to complete your program
    • you were a full-time student in Canada up until your last semester.

Assuming your study permit states you can work in Canada, you are allowed to work off-campus for 20 hours per week during the school year. You can also work full-time during scheduled breaks. There are no restrictions to the number of hours you can work on campus.